Monday, March 24, 2008

easter

Easter was good for the kid. She woke up and found her Easter basket in bed with us. First she attacked the 2 small pieces of chocolate, then moved immediately to the handful of jelly beans (all the candy was organic, with natural colors, of course). Her suckers and honey stick were saved for after breakfast. After the candy attack, she realized there was more in the basket: a green silk scarf for "grass", a half dozen wooden eggs in a carton, her favorite bubble bath, and a new mallet for her xylophone. The mallet was her favorite part.

Unfortunately, refined sugar makes Amelie... a typical toddler. Usually, the kid is so easy and fun, but add high fructose corn syrup to the mix, and you get a high strung and distracted two year-old. We've stopped with artificial colors, as they make her just plain unbearable. But the HFCS! That may be the next to go. I blame HFCS for the mishaps with the cat yesterday. Amelie was "playing" with CooCoo, by laying on her and ignoring her meows to stop, not to mention my warnings of "get off her, she's asking you to stop... she'll scratch you." CooCoo did scratch her (mildly). On 2 occasions. Before noon. Amelie's learning, but I really blame the HFCS for the slow learning.

We had fun at Grandpa's house, and Amelie loved hanging out with all the relatives. The car ride to church afterwards was nice an quiet, as the sugar had worn off, and naptime was long overdue. Church itself was pretty good, although I didn't feel like participating on any level (so-o-o tired!), and now I wish I had. We stayed pretty late and visited, rounding off the night with a couple games of Mafia.

SmallFry got kicked in the face by SmallerFry the other day. It was the first time she'd felt the baby kick at all, and she loved it!

No comments: